ICTE Logo

Saturday, September 6, 2014

September's Invitation to Write

The September Invitation to Write theme is “Letters to Students.” I find as I begin the year, I have much that I want to say to current students, past students, individual students, groups of students, and even my own children as students. I want them to know my goals for them, what I expect from them, and my mistakes, fears, and dreams. I want them to read about the pride I have at what they have become, or the potential I see, or all the life advice that I try to cram inside the cracks in the literary curriculum. This month, therefore, we invite you to write a letter. Write it to one student or a group of students, be they past, present, or future. Be funny, serious, or reflective. Write about what they need to know about themselves or about you.

Last year I made a personal goal of writing and mailing 25 physical letters, and I accomplished that goal. I received some back in the process. There is nothing quite like the anticipation of receiving an envelope in the mail that you know contains words important enough to write down, stuff, stamp, and send. I remember quietly going down to my office to read them, uninterrupted. They were my treasure chest to open, to examine, to reread. Through those letters I felt closer to the sender, like I understood them better, understood that they found me an important enough investment of their time. In that spirit, write to your students. And share with us, who will also feel valued in the process.

Please submit your letters to our Online Submission Form. They will be published in October. Again, we’re looking for a general range of approximately 300-600 words.


I also encourage you to submit other writings as well. We’re still looking for book reviews to share, narratives of your experiences, great teaching ideas, etc. Those of you engaging in the 30 day blogging challenge are encouraged to share the best of those with us on our site as well. Just write, share, and enjoy the professional community.

- Shannon Dykstra
ICTE Online Content Editor

1 comment: